Starting 8th of May, I will be hosting a new weekly show on UTVi - 'Careers with Rashmi' - where I answer queries from viewers. Now this is really exciting - as well as a little scary. Because the show is 'live'!
As they say, fortune favours the prepared mind. So the show will not be based on completely random call-ins. There will some method to the madness :)
Since 'careers' is a very broad area, each week I will choose a theme for my show, It could be industry specific (say, the advertising industry) or an idea ('finding a job you love').
The theme for my first show is the 'software industry'. So any of you out there working in software, or considering a career in that area, please do write in to me with your questions! You'll then be asked to call in at a specific time. Or, I'll use your email query.
Aise kyoon? Well, I want questions that are interesting to people @ large. Which bring up issues that many of you might be facing. Also, we'll avoid having the same 2-3 questions repeated over and over again.
A few broad areas which I think are of wider interest:
* Software jobs vs Core jobs: which would you choose today, as an engineer graduating from college
* If I join software, should I go for a big company, a mid cap or even consider a start up?
* Programming vs testing vs product development
* Will the cap on H1 B affect my chances of going abroad?
* What is the growth path for a software engineer?
* If I want to start my own company, what kind of experience would be most relevant for me?
* What is the future of SAP? Is it worth shifting to today?
* What are the hot new areas/ programming languages I can get into today?
* And of course the old favourite: to do or not to do the MBA.
Well, that was just my two bits but I would love to hear from you. Do send in your queries to rashmi_b at yahoo.com. And remember to mention your name and contact no as well.
And the rest of you, do tune in to my show on Friday, 8th of May @ 7 pm on UTVi (channel # 541 on Tata Sky). It is a big day for me, and I need your moral support :)